Kudos for Quality Inn & Suites Val d’Or
Toronto, Ont. — Choice Hotels Canada is thrilled to announce that one of its hotels, the Quality Inn & Suites Val d’Or has been named the 2020 International Quality Hotel of the Year by Choice Hotels International, based in Rockville, Maryland. This is the second time this hotel has been awarded this prestigious international distinction.
The hotel also received a 2020 Platinum Guest Satisfaction Award, given to Choice Hotels Canada properties in the top three per cent of its more than 330 hotels. This is the eighth consecutive year the hotel has been honoured with a Platinum Award, having been recognized each year since 2013.
In 2014, the Quality Inn & Suites Val-d’Or was recognized not only as Canadian Hotel of the Year, but also the International Quality Hotel of the Year. In 2018, the hotel won the Canadian Hotel of the Year award again. The hotel has also been awarded six Canadian APEX awards, which recognize stellar performance, sales and revenue growth and ongoing commitment to guest service. In 2018, the hotel’s general manager, Alexandre Audet, was awarded Leader of the Year by Choice Hotels Canada. The award recognized outstanding leadership, with Audet’s focus on employee recognition leading to a reduction in the turnover rate and outstanding customer satisfaction ratings.
“Quality Inn & Suites Val-d’Or is undoubtably a stand-out star in our system and is frequently recognized for its excellence,” said Brian Leon, president, Choice Hotels Canada. “The ownership, general manager and hotel team has consistently gone above and beyond and their exceptional efforts have not gone unnoticed by guests.”
KML’s top 30 under 30 has many hotel winners
In April 2019, KML announced it would take over stewardship of the Top-30-Under-30 program. Previously operated by the Ontario Hostelry Institute (OHI), the program is an annual initiative that recognizes and celebrates the top-30 young professionals across all sectors of the foodservice and hospitality industry. The high-profile program celebrates and recognizes future generations of hospitality leaders who are and will continue to make a difference. The brainchild of Bruce McAdams, assistant professor of the University of Guelph, and Charles Grieco, former president of the OHI, the program was launched 14 years ago and, during its history, hundreds of individuals have been recognized — many of whom have gone on to stellar hospitality careers.
With the passing of Grieco last year, the torch has been passed to KML to take hold and move it forward. “We’re thrilled and humbled to have the opportunity to do so and we’re proud to continue recognizing tomorrow’s leaders who undoubtedly will make the industry more vibrant, more successful and more socially and ethically relevant,” says Rosanna Caira, editor/publisher, KML. “We look forward to keeping our readers updated as to how the program will evolve in the future, but one factor will remain constant: by strengthening the Top 30 Under 30, we’ll continue to honour the memory of the man who made it all possible — J. Charles Grieco.”
KML is proud to present the winners of this year’s Top-30-Under-30 Awards. Not only are these individuals great at their jobs, but they’ve also shown leadership or leadership potential and have sought to better the industry through their professional and/or industry-related volunteer work.
Winners from hotels include:
- Tina Tang, Pastry Chef, Predator Ridge Gold Resort, Vernon, B.C.
- Dan Angus, Sous Chef, Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, Ont.
- Megan Van Der Baars, Social Media & Project Manager, Fairmont Royal York, Toronto, Ont.
- Amanda Lemos, Assistant Director of Human Resources, Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel, Toronto, Ont.
- Lukas Vallée Valletta, Director of Front Office, Royal Service & Reservation, Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu, Malbaie, Que.
- Adam Haick, Director of Asset Management, InnVest Hotels, Toronto, Ont.
- Karla Gomez, Food and Services Manager, Chelsea Hotel Toronto, Toronto, Ont.
- Suraj Gupta, Chief Investment Officer, Easton’s Group of Hotels, Markham, Ont.
- Isabelle Herington, Revenue Manager, Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth, Montreal, Que.
- Jessica Colvin, Sales + Event Specialist, Drake Hotel Properties, Toronto, Ont.
- Meghan Pratt, Human Resources Manager, Omni King Edward Hotel Toronto, Ont.
- Tina Chan, Events Manager, Westin Harbour Castle Toronto, Ont.
- Anish Taneja, Senior vice-president, Palm Holdings, Toronto, Ont.
- Thomas Beckett, Vice-president, HVS Canada, Toronto, Ont.
- Duncan Chiu, Director, Lodging Development – Western Canada, Marriott International Vancouver, B.C.
The Gupta Family Foundation is formed
In honour of The Gupta Groups’ Chairman’s Birthday, Reetu Gupta has re-imagined and launched the family foundation and they are proud to introduce The Gupta Family Foundation. Dr. Steve Gupta founded this organization almost three decades ago and through this organization he has been able to help thousands of people. Dr. Gupta built eye camps in India, allowing over 11,000 people to have eye treatments and be cured of eye disease. He also spearheaded the construction of a a retirement community in Richmond Hill, Ontario and a water and sanitation project for a Girls’ School in India.
Suraj Gupta, the Foundation’s chief strategy officer and Reetu Gupta, the president and CEO, now sit as co-chairs of the family’s foundation, with the aim of following in their father’s footsteps of giving back.
The foundation’s mantra is “Philanthropy is a Way to Show Love.” Stay tuned for the foundation’s first exciting project and be sure to follow the foundation on social media!