CHARLOTTETOWN, PEI — On Nov. 24, 2016 the Tourism Industry Association of Prince Edward Island (TIAPEI) presented its 35th Annual Tourism Awards Gala at the Red Shores Racetrack and Casino.
The evening saw the tourism industry recognize individuals in our industry who have contributed a high degree of professionalism and/or support in the tourism industry. Doug Bridges served as emcee for the evening, where a total of 10 awards were handed out.
Honored for their contributions to tourism for 2016 were:
• Tracey Singleton, Versatile Management Group- Lieutenant Governor’s Tourism Award
• David & Alfred Groom, Quality Inn Garden of the Gulf and Brother 2 Restaurant– Hospitality Award for Prince County;
• Ian Cheverie, The Great George – Hospitality Award for Queens County;
• JJ and Julie Chaisson, The Fiddling Fisherman– Hospitality Award for Kings County;
• Mary-Helen MacLeese, Meetings and Conventions PEI – Walt Wheeler Media Award;
• Cavendish Beach Music Festival – Operator of the Year;
• The Mi’kmaq Legends – Parks Canada Sustainable Tourism Award;
• Mel Gass – Dr. Kent Ellis Quality of Excellence Award;
• Bill & Mary Kendrick, Experience PEI- President’s Award;
• Doreen Sark, Lennox Island First Nation – Premier’s Award
Tourism is a vital industry in Prince Edward Island that provides over 7,700 full time equivalent jobs for Islanders. It accounts for approximately $401 million in economic activity each year and seven percent of GDP, the highest percentage of any Canadian province.